Sunday, February 24, 2013

relocating to boughs of hope


There's so much to be thankful for/And so much to be forgotten
There's no perfect secret/To the things that bring us joy

Ha ha! to the old year/Goodbye to the cold fear
Gonna cry when I need it, smile when I need it
Goodbye, denial

The mind is a wanderer/It slips off into a false world
Never stopping for a minute/To take a good look around

Ha ha! to the old year/Goodbye to the cold fear
Gonna cry when I need it, smile when I need it

I'm gonna live like a living soul
Gonna write it on my wretched bones
And stop waiting for happily ever after

Ha ha! to the old year/Goodbye to the cold, cold fear
Gonna cry when I need it

Ha ha! to the old year/Wave goodbye to the cold fear
Gonna cry when I need it, smile when I need it, laugh when I need it
Goodbye, denial, goodbye

-Eric Peters' "The Old Year (of Denial)"

A few weeks ago, Matthew and I went to an Eric Peters concert. Though I've been somewhat familiar with Eric's music for years, and heard him open for Sara Groves last March, I never owned any of his music until recently. I bought his new album, Birds of Relocation, on New Year's Day and it's been on constant rotation in my car and on my iPod ever since. The video above is the first song on the album, and was the perfect anthem for me this New Year's as I said goodbye to a hard 2012. 

As many of you know, Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts has been huge for me the past couple of years (that's a post in and of itself). On the cover is a birds nest, and that image has become very symbolic for me. It's been an image of thankfulness and of hope. 


For my birthday this year, Ben and Michelle got me a Barnes & Noble gift card. I was wandering the aisles on a Sunday afternoon, trying to find just the right purchase, and I came across a devotional book called The Book of Hope. I felt like the Lord had put this book on the shelf just for me as soon as I took a look at the cover, and then started flipping through the pages.


I've been reading through it ever since, and it's been such a blessing. 

So, the symbolism of Birds of Relocation has been particularly meaningful to me in light of these books that I've been reading, and how God has been using these pages to restore some hope into my sad and fearful heart. 

The concert we went to earlier this month was wonderful. It was in a small chapel with a small crowd and was therefore extremely personal. Before the show, we got a chance to say hello to Eric. We told him how we had a hard year, and how this album had really been ministering to us. What I like about Eric is that he's extremely honest. He's struggled with depression and has been very open about it in his writing. He's also just a very melancholy personality much like myself, so I definitely feel a kinship to him. His music that night really ministered to my heart in the deepest places that I can't even properly describe. I felt so close to Jesus in that little chapel. I felt so loved and cared for as I listened to these songs of struggle and, ultimately, hope. The issues aren't wrapped up in neat little 3 minute pop song packages, but over the course of the album the hope just creeps in and takes root... it nests, if you will. 

Eric ended his concert with two songs that are even more meaningful to me than the first. "Fighting for Life" is exactly what I feel like I'm doing a lot of days. I am fighting to be encouraged, to stay thankful, and to choose hope. 

In a little while, in a little while
The ghosts return to noise.
But not right now, no, not right now
The sky must be enjoyed.

Fighting/I'm fighting for/I'm fighting for my life
Fighting/I'm fighting for/I'm fighting for my life

Another way, is there any way
To multiply our years?
Here to stay, I am here to stay
My eyes are bright and clear

Fighting/I'm fighting for/I'm fighting for my life
Fighting/I'm fighting for/I'm fighting for my life

Like a secret hope that is forcing me awake
Dust and quiet rake the ground that I have claimed

Where I'm fighting/I'm fighting for my life

But what got me most about this song at the concert was the end. On the recording, I had a hard time making out some of the words. But that Friday night, with Eric only a few feet away, I heard it loud and clear, and it brought tears to my eyes:
I go into the darkness carrying a light
I will have no fear because I’m not alone
I got angels’ voices and friends who love me for who I am
So when the waters come
I fly above this flooded earth looking for a sign of life
And I relocate on boughs of hope,
Like a living soul, remembering that
In a little while, in a little while
The ghosts return to noise
Ooh, but not right now, not right now
The sky must be enjoyed.

I love this idea of relocating to boughs of hope, of flying above the darkness and the fear, of choosing to believe truth, and the friends who love, and the great cloud of witnesses. There really is so much to be thankful for.

And finally, he ended the night with "The New Year". As he finished the final notes, he looked Matt and I both square in the eye, remembering our earlier conversation, reassuring us that, no matter what, in Christ there is always hope.

This is the year that something changes but nothing ever does
This is the year that all my failures turn into a pile of dust
This is the year, with fallen faces, we learn we're not enough
This is the year to hold each other up

Oh, oh, oh it's a new year
Oh, oh, oh it's a brand new light
Oh, oh, oh can you believe it?
It's the skies that we dream of

This is the year when laughter douses charred and burnt-out dreams
This is the year when wrens return to nest in storm-blown trees
Is this the year of relocation from boughs of old despair?
This is the year to perch on hope's repair

Oh, oh, oh it's a new year...

I was pale and weary sad, tired of ghost debates
A slave to voices old and vile, bitter bones in the grave
But this is the year, it's the year that something changes
This is the year, the year that something changes

Oh, oh, oh it's a new year
Oh, oh, oh it's a brand new light
Oh, oh, oh can you believe it?
It's the skies that we dream of...



(Matthew, Charlotte, and I were actually at the show where this was recorded last March...)

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Sweet Sis!
    Thank you for writing and sharing this with me. I pray this year will be new in many ways for you.
    I love you,
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I love you and I love that you are writing again. Praying for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Eric Peters, he's so good and true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I love your heart, but nothing like our Father does. I want to share wisdom and love in return, but I come up short. I'm thankful for the wise ones who have gone before us. Solomon says in Ecc.3:11-13 "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him." I am praying this for you and myself too, that we will find satisfaction in the work God lays before us because it is all a gift from Him. Our very breath. I am so thankful for the gift of you. ~ Michelle

    ReplyDelete